HOT CHARLIE’S™ PECAN CRUSTED CATFISH WITH SPICY CREAM SAUCE
- Pecan-Crusted Catfish:
- Four 4-ounce catfish fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Spicy Cream Sauce:
- 2 chunks yellow onion (about 1/4 small onion total)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hot Charlie’s™ Hot Sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Rice or mashed potatoes, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pulse the cornmeal with the pecans and some salt and pepper in a food processor until uniform and the size of breadcrumbs.
- Create a breading station with the flour on a plate, the milk and egg beaten together and the pecan-cornmeal mixture on another plate. Be sure to sprinkle salt and pepper on each part of the breading station.
- Dip the fish in the flour, then the egg, then the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe saute pan over medium heat.
- Brown the coated catfish until golden on one side, about 3 minutes. Then turn the fillets over and place in the oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes longer (a few minutes more if the fillets are thick).
Spicy cream sauce:
- Place the onions with the stock, wine and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan.
- Boil and reduce for 5 minutes, gently pressing on the onions to release the flavors.
- Remove the onion and discard.
- Turn down the heat to low and whisk in the steak sauce, Hot Charlie’s™ Hot Sauce and lemon juice, then the sour cream.
- Allow to cook and reduce 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly. (Place back on the heat for 10 seconds if needed to keep the temperature high enough.)